I feel like very few, or at least not many of the people of tumblr are aware of what is going on in my home country Hong Kong right now.
You guys gave alot of coverage and support when Scotland was voting for its independance, so I’m hoping you’ll all support the people of Hong Kong as well.
Right now, many of us are in a mass demonstration of pro-democracy against China. But wait a sec, isn’t Hong Kong China? This is a big misconception amongst foreigners, but please, we are far from being similar to China at all.
A little history class: Hong Kong used to be colonized by the British, and before you white-knights begin going all “them damn white racist ppl taking over another asian country” please don’t. We are thankful Britain took us under its wing and instilled in us values that I feel made us what we are today; that is, a democratic people with respect for free speech, amongst many things.
On the other hand, China is communist, with government controlled media and news. Google, instagram, facebook and many tv shows are blocked in China. It really is just a few steps from North Korea imo.
So what’s the problem here? Britain unfortunately had to hand back Hong Kong to China, but one of the requirements is that Hong Kong be allowed to operate as ‘one country two systems’, meaning Hong Kong should be able to have its own democratic government. But China has broken its promise. A while back, China tried to put a mandatory ‘national education’ curriculum in all our primary schools. We all know what that is; a communist brainwashing regime. And now, they have announced that in 2017 Hong Kong will be able to vote for its president; BUT only from 3 candidates hand picked by its PRO-BEIJING legislation.
As you can see, China is trying to takeover completely and turn us into another communist state.
Of course, we have taken to the streets. In a mirror if the Tiananmen protests, students have also stepped up to fight for our rights and our future, albeit in a peaceful protest of course. But the police force who have always been a friend of the people, are now responding with force, something that had never been done before in Hong Kong.
First it was pepperspray, then teargas. Then, armed forces came in qith rubber bullets. They warn they will come out with live ammunition soon if we do not get off the streets but the people continue to sit tight, disrupting businesses China so strive to takeover and make use of. It’s been 2 days now, but the people plan to continue at least till 1st October or even beyond. The significance is that October 1st is China’s National day, not ours, Hong Kong has not been granted it’s own National day.
Please spread the news. This is a country we’re talking about. These are my people.
You can join this event to wear yellow in support of my people on October 1st.
820. Muggleborns try to Transfigure things into Pokemon. Headmistress McGonagall bans these attempts when someone Transfigures a teacup into a Tyrantum, which then proceeds to wreck everything and is impervious to almost all spells but the one used to Transfigure it - which the student only gives after their DS is shattered.
someone please make a meme masterpost of every tumblr meme ever
it doesn’t have all of them but it has a lot of them
this is so surreal honestly its like traveling through time
1. literally just fucking talk to me
2. thats it
Me when I see one leaf turn vaguely orange
the difference between sam pepper and shane dawson
- posted this ^^^ video giving a sincere apology
- hes deleted his videos of him doing blackface
- hes admitted he was being ignorant and that he should not have done his blackface videos
- hes admitted hes in the wrong
- hes done his research on the history of blackface (he did not previously know the history of blackface) and has agreed its fucked up
- hes explained the reasoning why he did blackface, and why it was not meant to be malicious and he just didn’t know anything about the subject matter, but agrees it is wrong and he shouldn’t have done it
- hes read posts/tweets of people calling him out and is using them to inform himself of what he is doing wrong so he can learn from his mistakes
- HE HAS ADMITTED HES MADE MISTAKES AND IS MAKING CHANGES TO LEARN FROM HIS MISTAKES
- hes apologized to specific twitter users that he knows have been offended by his videos
- hes stated all the people calling him ‘racist’ he deserves because of his blackface videos, even though he defends the fact he’s not racist and he genuinely sorry
sam pepper has:
- threatened people that called him out on his bullshit
- been a complete asshole
- defended his actions
- has not apologized
aka: sam pepper is an ass but shane dawson is doing his best and is trying to become a better person and move away from the bad shit he’s done in the past, including blackface
dont support sam pepper but don’t drag shane down too bc for real hes honestly trying his hardest to learn from his mistakes and become a better person and move away from the offencive shit hes done bc he knows its fucked up and wrong